Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jekyll's Martini Party

Last weekend I allowed myself to be persuaded to join the Jekylls for martinis. Pray, allow me to state upfront that this is invariably a terrible idea.

I dearly adore Dr. Henry Jekyll and his dear wife whatsername, but I do make it a personal rule not to drink any cocktail that is served with a body part floating in it pinioned upon a tiny pike.

And vermouth just is simply not supposed to smoke like that. I care not what the chemist told you.

The night was... transformative. I know that by the time dawn cut the clouds, we were all a bit green around the edges. Some of us more than others.

The party was the usual fare. Always the reanimators (Henry & Viktor were both there) kvetching endlessly in the corner about how modern people simply do not execute sufficient numbers of criminals for them to complete their ungodly experiments. John and Dejah swanned through uninvited as always. They did not stay, thank the dark powers -- such insufferable boors the two of them.

Henry, is a mean drunk and some feelings were hurt and the odd limb broken. But he is one of my few remaining dear friends from the old days and such ties must needs be kept. Bridges mended and tended as they say.

Just don't drink the martinis.

No comments:

Post a Comment